Notes on Kilwa

dc.contributor.authorChittick, H. N.
dc.date.accessioned2021-11-04T02:22:14Z
dc.date.available2021-11-04T02:22:14Z
dc.date.issued1952
dc.descriptionAvailable in print form, East Africana Collection, Dr Wilbert Chagula Library, (EAF FOS C45.N69)en_US
dc.description.abstractThe town known to Europe until the last century as Quiloa was situated on the east coast of Africa almost exactly on the ninth degree of latitude (south). The ruins lie towards the north-western corner of Kilwa Island, overlooking a superb deep-water harbour the further shore of which is formed by the high spit of land terminating in Ras Matuso on which the village of Kilwa Masoko lies. The harbour is completely protected from the swells of the Indian Ocean by the island itself and by a barrier reef which, with a break in its centre, runs from the north-western tip of the island to Ras Matuso. According to tradition, emigrants from Shiraz1 in Persia settled at Kilwa in tkg tenth century A.D.,2 but nothing has yet been found at the site of the town which can be dated to this period or to the succeeding two centuries. The surviving buildings at Kilwa Kisiwani are to be ascribed to about the beginning of the 14th century and later. A short account of the ruins has been given by M. H. Dorman in an earlier number of this journal.en_US
dc.identifier.citationChittick, H. N (1952) Notes on Kilwaen_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://41.86.178.5:8080/xmlui/handle/123456789/16282
dc.language.isoenen_US
dc.publisherFosbrookeen_US
dc.subjectKilwa civilizationen_US
dc.subjectRainsen_US
dc.subjectHistoryen_US
dc.titleNotes on Kilwaen_US
dc.typeArticleen_US
Files
Original bundle
Now showing 1 - 1 of 1
Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Name:
img-210817185752.pdf
Size:
13.51 MB
Format:
Adobe Portable Document Format
Description:
License bundle
Now showing 1 - 1 of 1
No Thumbnail Available
Name:
license.txt
Size:
1.71 KB
Format:
Item-specific license agreed upon to submission
Description:
Collections