Contraceptive prevalence rate and factors related to contraceptive use among childbearing women in Mbeya Urban, Tanzania

dc.contributor.authorMmbuji, Peter Kanyinyi Langeni
dc.date.accessioned2019-09-09T18:34:21Z
dc.date.accessioned2020-01-08T10:06:09Z
dc.date.available2019-09-09T18:34:21Z
dc.date.available2020-01-08T10:06:09Z
dc.date.issued1992
dc.descriptionAvailable in print formen_US
dc.description.abstractA cross-sectional survey of 889 women of childbearing age(15-49 years old) was conducted in nine wards of Mbeya municipality from April to October 1990. The aim of the study was to determine the contraceptive prevalence rate and factors related to contraceptive use among women in the childbearing age(15-49 years old). House to house interviews were conducted to find out information regarding demographic and socio-economic status, fertility pattern and contraception. A questionnaire was used for data collection. Of 889 subjects interviewed, the prevalence of contraceptive use was found to be 20% (10% for Modern contraceptive methods and 10% Traditional methods). 53% of the respondents knew at least one contraceptive method or a way to avoid pregnancy and 79% knew an appropriate source of Modern contraceptive methods. Some factors which seem to have influence on low contraceptive use were found to be: Low level of education of a woman and/or husband (none or adult education), age below 20 years and 40 years or above, unmarried, having no or few number of living children or being a Roman Catholic. Other factors which discourage the use of contraceptive methods were the associated health problems, ineffectiveness or irreversibility of some of the methods, in availability or unawareness of the methods or husband/partner opposing. The proportion of drop-outs seems to be high especially for Modern contraceptive methods(55%). Health problems associated with contraceptives {42%) and desire for pregnancy (35%) were the main reasons for discontinuation of contraceptive methods. The respondents seem to favour Pills and Condoms over or more than Diaphragm, Depo-Provera injection, Intra Uterine Contraceptive Device(IUCD) or Female sterilization. About 54% of non-users as compared to (39%) of users of contraceptive methods appear to accept abstinence from sexual intercourse during breastfeeding period. About 40% of the respondents reported that they resumed intercourse within 6 months after delivery and the remainder (60%) between six and 12 months. Sixty percent of respondents would prefer a duration of 3 years or more for child spacing while the mean for the actual was 2 and desired number of children was 5. According to the findings of the study it is recommended to emphasize primary education, ensure availability of contraceptive methods and motivate husbands so that they cooperate in contraception practice. The implementation of the recommendations will eventually promote the use of modern contraceptive methods. Furthermore, studies should be done to find out the reasons for low contraceptive use in the adolescent age group. It is also necessary to carry out a follow-up study to determine the reasons for drop-out.en_US
dc.identifier.citationMmbuji, P. K. L (1992) Contraceptive prevalence rate and factors related to contraceptive use among childbearing women in Mbeya Urban, Tanzania, Masters dissertation, University of Dar es Salaam. Available at (http://41.86.178.3/internetserver3.1.2/detail.aspx )en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://localhost:8080/xmlui/handle/123456789/6116
dc.language.isoenen_US
dc.publisherUniversity of Dar es Salaamen_US
dc.subjectContraceptivesen_US
dc.subjectTanzaniaen_US
dc.subjectMbeya regionen_US
dc.titleContraceptive prevalence rate and factors related to contraceptive use among childbearing women in Mbeya Urban, Tanzaniaen_US
dc.typeThesisen_US
Files